The most common questions about air duct cleaning are whether it’s actually necessary and if so, how often it should be done. The homeowners schedule provides many benefits, and doesn’t necessarily require a specific number of cleanings. Here’s everything you should know and when you should schedule an appointment.
What is Air Duct Cleaning?
Duct cleaning covers heating and cooling system components for your air conditioner and heating system. It includes:
- Supply and return air ducts and registers
- Grilles and diffusers
- Heat exchangers
- Heating and cooling coils
- Condensate drain pans (drip pans)
- Fan motor and housing
- Air handling unit housing
Reputable companies address the whole system, not just the ducts.
How Often is Air Duct Cleaning Required?
According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association (NADCA) air ducts should be cleaned every three to five years. However, there are many specific reasons you should get your air ducts cleaned including when:
- There is a chance air ducts have mold
- have a vermin infestation
- You see dust released when your AC or heat turns on
- Recently had renovations in your home
You can also look at your air vents for signs of dirt and debris on the registers. This could be a sign your ducts are dirty and constantly taking in and blowing out dirt and dust buildup.
Is the Duct Cleaning Palm Harbor Companies Offer Effective?
Yes, there are many benefits to air duct cleaning including improving the air quality in your home. This is important for people who suffer from respiratory health issues including asthma and allergy symptoms. The Palm Harbor professionals offer uses a negative air machine and rotary brush cabling system that loosens debris and vacuums it away. This can reduce irritants released through the ducts including dust mites. Dust mites are a major irritant for allergies and asthma symptoms.
Are There Other Times it is Needed?
Yes, NADCA says you should arrange for cleaning when:
- You move into a new home, unless the homeowner can prove they had it done in the last three years
- Your new home construction is completed
- You have pets that shed frequently (increase the cleanings more often, every one or two years)
Following these suggestions can help improve the air quality in your home.
Improper Maintenance Could Void Your Warranty
If you don’t properly maintain your AC unit or have unqualified people work on the system, you could void your warranty. Things like cleaning your air ducts are essential to keeping your AC working efficiently. If you need repairs and plan on your warranty covering them, everything needs to be in good condition.
If you haven’t cleaned your air ducts in 7 years, you probably will end up paying for repairs straight out of pocket. Using approved parts is also crucial to maintaining your warranty. Simple accidents could even end up having you pay, so ensure you’re very careful with who works on your AC and what they’re using.
How to Find the Right Palm Harbor Expert
Here are a few signs you’re hiring a dependable company:
- Cost: Companies offering low prices or who insist you have your ducts cleaned frequently are usually not trustworthy. Duct cleaning professionals charge a higher fee because they take more time to do a thorough job cleaning the whole system, using the best equipment.
- Invest Time: Ask the company how long it will take. As mentioned above, professionals take at least a few hours to complete the job. If they say anything less, they aren’t going to do a thorough job.
- Equipment: Quality work needs quality equipment. Truck-mounted vacuum systems keep the dust and debris kicked outside the home during the process.
- Standards: Professionals follow the standards set by the National Air Duct Cleaners Association.